Photo: © Getty Images

Lawyers reveal the real reason Prince Harry is not coming to UK

In the first preliminary hearing against the Home Office over his police protection in the UK, Prince Harry legal team told the High Court that he wants to return to the UK but “does not feel safe.”

Prince Harry, 37, has requested a judicial review of a Home Office decision denying him the right to pay for his and his family’s police protection while in the UK.
He wants to bring his two children, Archie, two, and Lilibet, eight months old, to visit from the United States, but he and his family are “unable to return to his home” because it is too dangerous, according to the Duke’s legal representative.

 

Prince Harry’s last visit to the UK for Princess Diana statue unveiling (Photo: © Getty Images)

 

QC Shaheed Fatima, the Duke’s legal representative, said at Friday’s hearing: “This claim is based on the fact that the Duke does not feel safe in the UK because of the security measures in place since June 2021, which will remain in place if he decides to return.

“He obviously wants to return to see his family and friends, as well as continue to support the charities that are close to his heart.

“This is his home, and it always will be.”
Following their resignation as senior working royals in early 2020, Harry and Meghan lost their taxpayer-funded police protection.

 

Harry last visited the UK in July 2021 for the Princess Diana statue unveiling (Photo: © Getty Images)

 

The Duke, who did not appear in person at Friday’s hearing, claims that his private security team in the United States lacks adequate international jurisdiction and access to UK intelligence information needed to keep his family safe.

Last year, he returned from California for the unveiling of the Diana, Princess of Wales memorial statue on July 1 and met seriously ill children and young people at a WellChild garden party and afternoon tea in Kew Gardens, west London, the day before.

See also  Prince Harry unveils major new project as he teams up with Google in huge deal

The Duke’s car was reportedly pursued by photographers as he drove away.

A legal representative for Harry previously stated that the Duke prefers to fund the security on his own rather than relying on taxpayers. The Home Office’s lawyer, Robert Palmer QC, told the court that Harry’s offer of private funding was “irrelevant.”

 

Harry and Meghan now reside in the US with their children (Photo: © Getty Images)

 

“Personal protective security by the police is not available on a privately financed basis,” he wrote in written submissions, “and Ravec [Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures] does not make decisions on the provision of such security on the basis of any financial contribution that could be sought or obtained to pay for it.”

He claimed Ravec had given the Duke “a kind of exceptional status” in which the police consider him for personal protective security “with the precise arrangements being determined by the reason for his presence in Great Britain and by reference to the functions he performs when present.”

“A rational and appropriate case-by-case approach allows Ravec to implement a responsive approach to reflect the applicable circumstances,” the barrister added.

According to the Home Office’s written arguments, Harry’s funding offer was “notably not advanced to Ravec” during the Duke’s visit in June 2021, or during any pre-action discussions.

 

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle moved to California in March 2020 (Photo: © Getty Images)

 

The Duke had “failed to afford the necessary measure of respect” to the Home Secretary and Ravec as “the expert, and democratically accountable, decision-maker on matters of protective security and associated risk assessment,” according to Mr Palmer’s written submissions.

He went on to say that the Home Office will “seek full reimbursement for all costs incurred as a result of this claim, including those incurred as a result of the confidentiality exercise, which resulted in costs to the public purse.”

See also  Prince Harry's Californian makeover revealed – see transformation photos

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Share Daughter Lili’s First Birthday Portrait and Fans Think She Looks Just Like Her Dad

The High Court in London will hold a preliminary hearing on Friday to determine which parts of the court documents can be made public and which must be kept private.

One comment

  1. UK provided security for our idiot ex-president, his ex-porn wife, his kids who had no government role, and their friends that they brought over there. You stood by while he made a fool of himself, embarrassed this country, and broke all sorts of norms in your country – everything from walking in front of the queen to asking for a state dinner when there was no reason. Your country paid for it all. And now, you have no problem paying for your pedophile prince living at the royal lodge. But, you are having a fit because Harry resigned? It’s not like this would cost anyone anything – except decency.

Royal News Prince George Catherine