Queen Elizabeth II reportedly sent a simple two-word response to Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s request to photograph their daughter Lilibet’s first meeting with the Queen.
While in the UK for the Platinum Jubilee, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex took Lilibet – named after the Queen’s nickname – to meet her great-grandmother for the first time on Thursday.
According to reports, Harry and Meghan had requested the presence of a private photographer at the meeting.
When asked for her opinion on the matter, the Queen reportedly replied, “no chance,” citing concerns that the images would be leaked to US television networks, according to the Express.
On Saturday, Lilibet celebrated her first birthday, before the Sussexes returned to California on Sunday without missing a beat.
“Harry and Meghan wanted their photographer to capture the moment Lilibet met the Queen,” a source told The Sun.
“However, they were told they had no chance. It was a private gathering of family members.”
During the Platinum Jubilee celebrations, the Sussexes were noticeably absent from the limelight, and were spotted sitting several rows behind Prince Charles and Prince William during Friday’s Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul’s cathedral.
During the celebrations, they were kept at arm’s length by the royals and did not make any public appearances alongside the Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, or Kate.
Because of Harry and Meghan’s low profile over the weekend, no Netflix cameras were present.
The couple is said to have left the UK before the Queen’s 70th year on the throne was officially ended.
The Sussexes had already driven away from Frogmore Cottage as the £15 million Platinum Jubilee Pageant finale began outside Buckingham Palace on Sunday.
Experts claimed Harry was struggling to accept his new “second row royal” role, and fans pointed out Meghan’s “obvious” snub of Kate Middleton, prompting the couple’s quick exit before the end of the Jubilee celebrations.
Tensions between the Sussexes and the rest of the royal family have been high since the couple’s Oprah interview last year, in which they made racist accusations and Meghan opened up about her strained relationship with Kate.
The Sussexes’ trip from the United States is said to have cost more than £150,000, but it is unclear who paid for it.
The Queen said she was “humbled and deeply touched” that so many people had come out to celebrate her Platinum Jubilee in a statement released Sunday evening.
“While I may not have been able to attend every event in person, my thoughts and prayers have always been with you,” she said. “And, with the help of my family, I will continue to serve you to the best of my ability.”