The Princess of Wales says she is "well" and "getting stronger every day"

Why Princess Kate announced her cancer diagnosis now despite starting preventative chemotherapy last month

Kensington Palace has revealed that the Princess of Wales is receiving prophylactic chemotherapy for an unidentified type of cancer.

Catherine, 42, started her treatment almost a month ago, at the end of February.

However, we are aware that she and her spouse Prince William made the decision to hold off on disclosing her diagnosis to the public for a few weeks so that they and their family could process the information.

 

The Princess has taken time to digest her health news
Photo: © Getty Images

 

Catherine acknowledged that the last few months have been “tough” for the entire family, including their three young children, Prince George, who is ten, Princess Charlotte, who is eight, and Prince Louis, who is five, in a video message that was recorded at BBC Studios in Windsor and made public on Friday.

We understand that the Princess felt that this was the appropriate moment to make this announcement in public since the kids parted ways on Friday for their Easter school vacation.

The Waleses are no longer anticipated to join the rest of the royal family at the customary Easter Sunday church service; instead, they will be spending the Easter break in private. Away from the spotlight and the media, they’ll probably be spending some quality time together over the coming weeks.

Catherine disclosed that she is undergoing preventative chemotherapy in the early stages of her moving and intimate video message. Her condition was initially believed to be non-cancerous, and her January abdominal surgery had gone well.

But tests following the surgery revealed the presence of cancer.

 

“It has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them,” Catherine said   Photo: © Getty Images

 

The Princess started her letter by saying, “I wanted to take this opportunity to personally thank you for all of the wonderful messages of support and for your patience while I’ve been recovering from surgery.

See also  Prince William and Kate dazzle in stunning new portrait unveiled during Cambridgeshire outing

“It has been an incredibly tough couple of months for our entire family, but I’ve had a fantastic medical team who have taken great care of me, for which I am so grateful.”

“This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family,” she said, reiterating that it has taken her some time to process the news and explain her diagnosis to her young children. It has taken some time, as you can imagine.

 

The Prince and Princess of Wales digested Kate’s health news before informing their three children
Photo: © Max Mumby/Indigo

 

“I had to recover from a major surgery before I could begin my treatment. Above all, though, it has taken some time for us to reassure George, Charlotte, and Louis that everything will be alright and to explain everything to them in a way that suits them.”

“As I have stated to them, by concentrating on the things that will support my recovery—in my mind, body, and spirit—I am well and growing stronger every day.

Royal News Prince George Catherine